This time of year, everyone is bringing out their best beef stews! With the instant pot taking over our kitchen on busy weeknights, here is our version using our Red Rub spice blend. Beautifully partnered with rice, this hearty and warm dish is sure to please those winter blahs.
• Season the beef cubes with salt and pepper. Turn the Instant Pot setting to saute high and heat up the oil. Working in batches, brown the beef cubes and set aside in a separate bowl.
• With the saute still on, add the bacon and cook until starting to crisp up a bit. Then add the onions, carrots and garlic. Cook until softened and lightly browning. Next toss in the anchovies, tomato paste and Red Rub spice blend and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
• Crash the party with the red wine and stir. Add your beef back to the pot along with the broth and bay leaves. Cancel the saute setting, close the lid and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes. Allow to natural release.
• Open the lid, smell how good it is, and give it a stir. Add the chunks of sweet potato to the pot, stir and lock the lid. Put it on for another 5 minutes on high and release the pressure manually. Turn the saute on again and bring it to a boil.
• Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add the corn starch and just enough water to make a smooth paste. Add it to the pot and allow it to simmer for another few minutes.